Saturday, June 8, 2013

Quiet Does Not Equal Alone

Leading a quiet life, does not mean leading an solitary lifestyle.

It is far too easy to live our lives without becoming connected to anyone in particular. It's easy to get up and go to work, make small chit chat, come home, relax and *finally* spend some time alone. Then the cycle repeats when we go to bed just to wake up and do it all again.

Space is a good thing. I am a big advocate for defending our family time. If anything gets in the way between me and my family, I act all mama bear type and protect my family. I value the santicty of our household, my marriage, and my relationship with my children. I guard it. Honestly, that's the best way I can describe how I feel about my family. I love them to pieces, and we are a tight knit group, through and through.

I wholeheartedly believe that our families are worth defending and we should be jealous of time with them, but part of the problem with being completely enamored with our families is that we don't get the opportunity to reach out like we should.

We are not destined to stay in our homes. We are not destined to stay in shells. God is a great, big guy. He is not a box. So we shouldn't be either.

We need to reach out, as individuals and as families, to others around us and develop meaningful relationships with other people. We were not meant to go it alone. We need the companionship, we need the conversation, and the occasional sharpening of iron.  Let's practice some hospitality and invite someone somewhere. Let's engage with someone we don't always engage with. Let's share some love.

"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5: 13-16, NIV)

Put that lamp on its stand, and shine on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind ~