Wednesday, June 5, 2013

A Quiet Life

"and to aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you," ~ 1 Thessalonians 4:11 (ESV)

 
I woke up this morning with this verse heavy on my heart. Live quietly, mind your own business, work with your hands.

Live simply. Live called.

It seems like this is the biggest thing right now - "live simply". I wouldn't know whether to call it eco-friendly, being a fashionista, or that many people are waking up to God's unshakeable truth. That God isn't impressed with your state-of-the-art-kitchen, your child's extensive extracurricular schedule, or your fancy collection of knick knacks. But how do you do this, living simply, leading a quiet life, when everything in you wants to have the nicest things, the newest things, the most unique things?

  • Be content. This is hard for me. As much as I would like to think that I'm a content person, I want lots of things all.the.time. I see, I want. Now, maybe if I had a limitless supply of money that wouldn't be a problem. No wait. I know it would still be a problem which is why I have already decided that if I ever won the lottery I could only take a small portion to pay things off, fix up some things, and I would have to give the rest away. I'm no good when it comes to being content, and staying still.
I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need." Phillipians 4:10-12

 

The Lord provides. We just have to redefine what is a need, a want, and just plain 'ole crap that we shouldn't even be messing with.
  • Have a servants heart. Help others out of the kindness of your heart, not another thing to check off your salvation checklist. Jesus was our living example of the love that God has for us. He is God with skin on, and He was a servant to the people. (John 13:1-17) Wash your friends feet! Figuratively, maybe not so literally. Humble yourselves before God. Help those in need. This doesn't always mean the homeless although it very well could be, but breathe life into lifeless situations. A girlfriend having a rough day. A spouse that has been working very hard and just needs pampering.
  • Don't gossip. When helping others or having a much needed lunch with friends, skip the gossip. Often times, it just happens, but this always makes me feel uncomfortable. Because generally speaking, the people that are gossiping to you are gossiping about you. Gossip comes from the heart which in my own opinion is much scarier than just "causal chit chat".  
"The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks." Luke 6:45 (ESV)
And futhermore,
"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." Ephesians 4:29 (ESV)
I'm taking a challenge. To go 30 days without buying one thing, or planning one thing to purchase as soon as this 30 days is over. Instead of that itch to buy something or pretty something up, I hope to have an itch to serve. I want to aspire to live a quiet life, mind my own affairs, and to work with my hands, serving others. Join me?

Feel free to share with me how you're living a joyfilled life :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind ~