Thursday, August 29, 2013

Little Hearts

Today, was yard work day in our house. Our little boy is turning four this Sunday, and weather permitting it will be an indoor/outdoor get together so, of course, my flower beds that I NEVER weed need tending to, and our grass can't be up to our knees. Not that our yard is ever ever out of shape. ;)

So on this beautiful day my hubby was outside, cutting the grass, my little ones were on the patio playing, and I was inside washing the dishes before I went out to help. When all of a sudden, Daniel came in the back door and said, "Daddy looks hot. I'm going to get him some water."

Then I saw it... the little heart that beats in my son's chest. The one that is full of compassion, sweetness, love, and innocence. The one that I sometimes forget I am supposed to be nurturing.


But in that moment, I saw it: that in all my obvious short comings there has been good. Daniel saw his father working hard in the hot sun, and out of the goodness of his heart, went to get him a cold bottle of water. I didn't ask him to, he just did it. And while this may not be profound at all to you, it was profound to me. A reminder that. yes, that little heart will too quickly grow up and that I need to take more moments to just watch him. In my actions, I am ministering to my child, and what am I teaching him?

I hope with all my heart that I am teaching him that we love big and boldly in this house. Yes, it is not perfect...far from it. Yes, we will stumble and fall down, but there we will find Jesus, and ask for forgiveness and mercy. We will not be so proud that we forget who our Maker is. We will put others needs before our own, and we will laugh loudly and often.



He is watching and learning. What he garners from my life, I don't think I'll realize until he's much older. And with that, I have to forgive myself because I will mess up. There will be arguments between us, I will drive him to madness at some points in his life and vice versa. But as long as we hold onto our love for one another, God, and our family we can weather this journey together.


It's been an amazing four years, kiddo. You are one crazy child but I wouldn't have any other way! I am so blessed to be able to call you my own. I love you, my dearest Daniel!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind ~